Sunday, October 28, 2007

False Alarm

Elaina and I decided to have an alarm system installed at our house. With my travel and Elaina sleeping during the day with a fan running we thought it wouldn't hurt.

This week I was staying in a hotel in Boise, ID. At about midnight my phone rings with an unfamiliar number. The voice on the other side says, "Hello this is Monotronics. We have an alarm at your front door, is everything ok?" I know that Elaina is at home this night and tell him that she probably went out take the garbage out and forgot to turn off the alarm. I'll call her to make sure everything is ok. He warns me that the police will be called in 30 seconds.

I calmly call Elaina... no answer. Call again... answer. With each passing minute I try again and again and again. No answer.

Now I'm pacing back and forth in my hotel in a complete panic. I call the police in Couer D' Alene to see if the dispatched officers have made it there yet. She tells me they just arived and haven't reported in.

I keep calling and calling and calling.. No answer.

Finally after 20-25 minutes, she finally picks up the phone.

She had taken Charlie for a late night jog. She left the house with her headphones on and didn't hear the warning beeps to disable the alarm.

As she walked into our neighborhood she saw the police cars parked next door. First she was intrigued by some possible drama, but then saw the police officers standing at our door. She apologized up and down and they very nicely told her to give me a call as I was very worried.

After the dust had settled they asked her the real question.... "What are you doing going for a jog at midnight?"

No comments: